How to enroll my child in EHS services?
Early Head Start is a child development program for low-income families. Each Early Head Start program is responsible for determining its' own eligibility criteria. Family income is one key factor in determining eligibility. The federal poverty guidelines are used to evaluate family income. Early Head Start programs may elect to target their services to a particular population to best meet the unique needs of families and children in their community. In addition, Early Head Start programs must make at least 10% of their enrollment opportunities available to children with disabilities who are eligible for Part C services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act in their state.
Early Head Start Enrollment Information
- Early Head Start programs are for children aged 0-3 yrs. old; Head Start programs for are for children aged 3-5 yrs. old. To apply or to determine eligibility, you will need to contact an Early Head Start/Head Start program directly.
- Eligibility for Early Head Start and Head Start is based on the HHS Poverty Guidelines. To learn more about these guidelines, please log on to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website at: http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/index.shtml
- To locate Early Head Start/Head Start programs in your area, please see the Head Start Locator on the Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center.
- Also, please see: How can I get my child into Head Start?
- For other child care options, please contact the Child Care Aware Network.
The National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (NACCRRA), through a cooperative agreement with the Child Care Bureau, receives funding to operate Child Care Aware-a national toll-free child care consumer telephone hotline and web-site. The mission of Child Care Aware is to ensure that families have access to accurate, useful information about finding child care. Through Child Care Aware, families are linked to their local, community-based child care resource and referral program and receive consumer education materials.
Web address: http://www.childcareaware.org/en/
Toll Free Consumer Hotline : (800) 424-2246
|Early Head Start National Resource Center @ ZERO TO THREE
2000 M. Street, NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20036
202-638-1144 Fax 202-638-0851
This Web site was developed for the Office of Head Start by ZERO TO THREE: National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families, under contract No. HHSP23320042900YC from the Administration on Children, Youth and Families; Administration for Children and Families; U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, to operate the Early Head Start National Resource Center.
Office of Head Start/ Administration for Children and Families / U. S. Department of Health and Human Services